Disability benefits available to those service offshore
Agent Orange Exposure In the Republic of Vietnam Waters (Blue Water Navy)
Blue Water Navy Veterans are now entitled to a presumption of service connection for conditions related to Agent Orange exposure. This extension of the presumption is a result of Public Law 116-23, the Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act of 2019, signed into law on June 25, 2019. The law takes effect January 1, 2020.
The law states that Veterans aboard a vessel operating not more than 12 nautical miles seaward from the demarcation line of the waters of Vietnam and Cambodia as defined in Public Law 116-23, between January 9, 1962, and May 7, 1975, are presumed to have been exposed to herbicides such as Agent Orange and may be entitled to service connection for conditions related to that exposure.
To be entitled to disability compensation benefits, these Veterans must have one or more of the conditions associated with Agent Orange exposure that are listed in 38 Code of Federal Regulations section 3.309(e).
What conditions are related to Agent Orange exposure?
Agent Orange presumptive conditions are:
- AL amyloidosis
- Chloracne, or other acne from disease consistent with chloracne.
- Chronic B-cell leukemias
- Diabetes mellitus
- Ischemic heart disease
- Hodgkin lymphoma, formerly known as Hodgkin’s disease
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Multiple myeloma
- Parkinson’s disease
- Peripheral neuropathy, early-onset
- Porphyria cutanea tarda
- Prostate cancer
- Respiratory cancers (lung, bronchus, larynx or trachea)
- Soft-tissue sarcoma (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi’s sarcoma, or mesothelioma)
How do I file a claim for disability compensation?
- Apply online using www.va.gov, OR
- Work with an accredited representative or agent OR
- Go to a VA regional office and have a VA employee assist you. You can find your regional office on our Facility Locator page.
- State on your application that you are filing for one of the presumed Agent Orange conditions.
- Include any evidence you have service in the offshore waters of the Republic of Vietnam during the required timeframe. Include the name(s) of the ship(s) and the date(s) you crossed within 12 nautical miles of the Republic of Vietnam, if you have that information.
- Provide medical evidence showing a diagnosis of a current Agent Orange presumptive condition or tell us where you are being treated.
For more information on how to apply and for tips on making sure your claim is ready to be processed by VA, visit our Disability Compensation web page www.va.gov